If you are looking for a complete guide to use EV car charger or to charge your car at home, then you are in the right place. We can provide you with a detailed guide to charge your car at home properly. A complete guide related to this topic will simply include all the points like how to charge the car at home, how much does it cost to charge a car at home and how long will it take to charge your car at home!
To know about the answers to all of these questions, you can simply keep on reading the article below for complete details and interesting facts about car charging!
How to Charge an Electric Car at Home!
The answer to this question is quite simple. If you want to charge your car at your home, then you cannot simply do so with the conventional charging sockets in your home. You have to make sure that you have a home charging point installed in your home. This home charging point must be installed in your garage or in a place where you can store your car for a few hours and can charge it with security.
You must also have a backup option that includes an EVSE supply cable along with a 3 pin plug socket because the charger will obviously be connected to your home electricity supply!
Here are some points that you need to consider while thinking about charging your car at home!
- Try choosing a dedicated charging point just like most common drivers do. You have to reserve that point for the car because of reasons like built-in safety of the charger and dedication to the socket as well, which makes it work completely for the charging purpose of the car!
- The home charging point for electrical car charging is a very decently compact and weatherproof charging device that can be mounted to the wall where it is to be attached. The charger is then connected with a connecting cable or a portable charging device that can transfer power from the charger to your car as a channel.
- If you dedicate the home charging point for one socket, then it would also be easier for installers to install it in one place as a permanent resort.
- Understand this that the electric car will always have a type 1 or type 2 connector for charging purposes and you will always need a home charger that is compatible with the type 1 or 2 charging cables of the car. Some installers don’t ask for this and will install both chargers and cables by checking the compatibility themselves!
Cost of Installation of a Home Charger for Cars!
Talking about the cost of the charger is very much important because shifting to electric friendly cars was just because of this reason that fuel was getting more and more costly every turning day and other than that the fuel reserves were also running out completely! So for a project that was launched on the basis of cost must be cost-effective and cheap!
The home charging point that is fully installed by the experts along with the charging cables will cost you around 300 euros. Now you must take some points into consideration while talking about the cost too.
- The driver that owns an electric car can get a 500 euro grant with the OLEV grants for installing the home charger for his electric car as a token of appreciation by the government to save fuel! So you must not worry about the installation charges of the charger!
- Once the charger is installed, there are no hidden charges that you have to pay while using it. After the installation of the electric car charger, you just have to pay for the electricity you are using to charge your car. The rates differ with respect to the supplier in your area!
- To talk about the exact cost than the typical rate of electricity in the United Kingdom where the electric cars are in large numbers is around 14 pence per kilowatt-hour. This rate is for the day and for nights it is almost around 8 ps.
- You must visit the government websites and OLEV grant sites to know about the details of getting the grant and all of the procedures related to it!
- Another important tip that you need to consider is that the cost of driving an electric car in the United Kingdom is around 2 to 6 pennies per mile. Do you know what this means? This means that you can save up to more than 2000 pounds in a year if we talk about the rates compared to petrol or diesel driven cars!
How Fast Can You Charge Your Car at Your Home!
For your information, the charging speed of electric cars is measured in KW’s around the world. If you have installed a home charging point for your electric car, then your car will be charged at 3.7 kW to 8kw that is capable of giving around 25 miles of range per one hour of charge. In simple words, if you change your car at home, it will cost you units per the 8kw charging unit, and if you charge it for an hour, it will give you more than 30 miles of range.
Commercial chargers are capable of charging the car at thrice the speed of a home charger. We will talk about the details of it’s working in our next article so stay tuned for that.
How Often to Charge Your Car at Home?
It is recommended by experts that you change your car overnight and use it in the day to save yourself from any complications in time of emergency. It is best that you leave your car to be charged in your garage during the night and let it be done until you start using it in the morning!